Volume Measures Using a Digital Image Analysis System are Reliable in Diabetic Foot Ulcers
- 0 Comments
- 5478 reads
The views expressed are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent views of the CTSA or NINR.
Additional Contributions: The authors gratefully acknowledge the contribution of Carrie Franciscus, Database Manager, for her assistance with data entry analyses; Melody Scherubel, BSN, Manar Mahmoud Al-Azzam, MSN, RN, Ying-Ling Jao, MSN, RN, Sarah Bensink, MNHP, RN, and Patrick Geasland, RN, for their assistance with data collection and manuscript proofreading; and to John Femino, MD, and Phinit Phisitkul, MD, for their role as clinical investigators.
1. Wysocki AB. Wound measurement. Int J Dermatol. 1996;35(2):82–91.
2. Frantz RA, Johnson DA. Stereophotography and computerized image analysis: A three-dimensional method of measuring wound healing. WOUNDS. 1992;4(2):58–64.
3. Kundin JI. Designing and developing a new measuring instrument. Perioper Nurs Q. 1985;1(4):40–45.
4. Langemo DK, Melland H, Olson B, et al. Comparison of 2 wound volume measurement methods. Adv Skin Wound Care. 2001;14(4):190–196.
5. Johnson M, Miller R. Measuring healing in leg ulcers: practice considerations. Appl Nurs Res. 1996;9(4):204–208.
6. Stotts NA, Salazar MJ, Wipke-Tevis DD, McAdoo E. Accuracy of alginate molds for measuring wound volumes when prepared and stored under varying conditions. WOUNDS. 1996;8(5):158–164.
7. Thawer HA, Houghton PE, Woodbury MG, Keast D, Campbell K. A comparison of computer-assisted and manual wound size measurement. Ostomy Wound Manage. 2002;48(10):46–53.
8. Strickland OL, Lenz ER, Waltz CF. Measurement in Nursing and Health Research, Fourth Edition. New York: Springer Publishing Company; 2010.
9. Efron B, Tibshirani RJ. An Introduction to the Bootstrap. London: Chapmann & Hall; 1993.
10. Little C, McDonald J, Jenkins MG, McCarron P. An overview of techniques used to measure wound area and volume. J Wound Care. 2009;18(6):250–253.
Sue E. Gardner, PhD, RN; Rita A. Frantz, PhD, RN, FAAN; Tom J. Blodgett, MSN, RN, PhD(c); Lorraine M. Femino, BSN; and Shannon M. Lehman, BBA, BSW are from the University of Iowa College of Nursing, Iowa City, IA. Stephen L. Hillis, PhD is from the Comprehensive Access and Delivery Research and Evaluation (CADRE) Center, Iowa City VA Medical Center
Address correspondence to:
Sue E. Gardner, PhD, RN
320 Nursing Building
The University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242-1121